“God is voting for us all the time. The devil is voting against us all the time. The way we vote carries the election.” – Corrie Ten Boom
The battle really is in our minds.
There’s an old praise song from the 90’s that says “the battle belongs to the Lord.” It’s melody still echos in my mind from time to time. However, my heart disagrees with it. Yes. One can say “the battle does truly belong to the Lord”. We wrestle not against flesh and blood (Ephesians 6:12). There is spiritual battle going on around us always. And we need to recognize many times what we perceive as our enemy in the physical is actually something in the spiritual realm. For example, if my husband says something hurtful to me, he is not my enemy. There is another enemy at work.
However, the battle has also already been won.
God is always voting for us. The finished work of the cross won the victory over sin and death. The battle has been won! He’s always given us everything we need to win the battle. So while the battle belongs to the Lord, we have to step up and do our part in the battle as well. And that’s renewing our mind and choosing our thoughts.
Satan, our enemy, is always voting against us, but he is defeated. He holds no power or authority over us unless we give it to him.
See, there is that third person “voting” and that third person often carries the results of the election.
Our thoughts are important. More times than I can count, scripture addresses how Believers should think. The way we think is very very important. It’s the vote we cast in the election.
- And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect. Romans 12:2
- Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things. Phillipians 4:8
- Watch over your heart with all diligence, For from it flow the springs of life. Proverbs 4:23
- But you did not learn Christ in this way, if indeed you have heard Him and have been taught in Him, just as truth is in Jesus, that, in reference to your former manner of life, you lay aside the old self, which is being corrupted in accordance with the lusts of deceit, and that you be renewed in the spirit of your mind, and put on the new self, which in the likeness of God has been created in righteousness and holiness of the truth. Ephesians 4: 20-24 (emphasis added)
- For God has not given us a spirit of timidity, but of power and love and discipline. 2 Timothy 1:7
- We are destroying speculations and every lofty thing raised up against the knowledge of God, and we are taking every thought captive to the obedience of Christ 2 Corinthians 10:5
- For as he thinks within himself, so he is. Proverbs 23:7a
So, how will you vote today? Will you give the Enemy power and authority that doesn’t belong to him by having stinky thoughts? Or will you dwell in truth and choose thoughts that reflect that truth regardless of how you feel?
I for one am going to choose good thoughts today. Thoughts that casts the vote in my favor. Towards the righteousness and holiness that He has already given me. I will choose thoughts of life and truth. Reminding my subconscious who I am in Christ and to whom I belong.
Lord, fill me with your truth today so my thoughts can cast the winning vote towards the righteousness in Christ you have already made me. Thank you for making Him who knew no sin to be sin on my behalf, so that I might become the righteousness of God in Him. (2 Corinthians 5:21). Thank you for giving me every spiritual blessing (Ephesians 1:3) and giving me a ministry to reconciliation (2 Corinthians 5:18). Today I choose to be yours. I joyfully recognize that you have chosen me. I lay my weak hand in your strong hand knowing your strength is made full in my weakness (2 Corinthians 12:10). May the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart cast the vote that goes in favor of the righteousness God has made me. Glory and amen.
Today I invoke heaven and earth as witnesses against you that I have set life and death, blessing and curse, before you. Therefore choose life so that you and your descendants may live! – Deuteronomy 30:19
Copyright © 2020 Dacian Keaton Ministries. All rights reserved.